Monday, July 14, 2008

Myers' Market

Recently the kids have been making an absurd amount of requests for snacks. In an attempt to curb this (and so they don't constantly hear me tell them no) and to teach a little bit of math we have opened Myers' Market.


The kids get $1.00 a week each. I made up a list of all of their snack choices and priced them. Healthier snacks are less expensive and the snacks that aren't so healthy are more expensive. They range from 1 cent to 50 cents. Really healthy foods like raw veggies etc. are free for a kiss during store hours...lol. They are only allowed to "shop" when the store is open which is between breakfast and lunch, and after dinner. Once they spend all of their money for the week they either eat the freebies or wait until the next meal to eat. We just implemented this yeserday and so far so good!

The math is a little hard for them still so i help them. I printed out a shee of paper with 100 pennies on it and we cross them off as they spend them but I also give them a pile of change to manipulate and pick different combos of coins to make the right amount. It fun and so far is working to help keep excessive snacking at bay.

3 comments:

Chris July 14, 2008 at 6:13 PM  

AWESOME! I knew there was a reason I Love you so much--because you're a good mom among so many other things ;)

Julie July 15, 2008 at 9:06 AM  

What a FUN idea! I agree with Chris...you are a good mom and such an encouragement to ME to think of ways to make life "fun" for the kids. Thanks for spending time last evening. Katie took Shani and me out for ice cream on the way home from Davene's ;-) Have a great day!

Anonymous July 15, 2008 at 9:33 PM  

Where do you come up with these wonderful ideas? Of course, I love it, math and real life application... keep up the great work and my grandbabies are going to be geniuses.

Search This Blog

  © Blogger template 'Photoblog' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP