Friday, August 15, 2008

I Can't Remember

While going through some of my mom things we found my grandmother's Bible. It was filled with newspaper clippings, cards, and notes. The most significant to my sister and I were notes that we found that were written back and forth between our mother and her mother. They had an ongoing correspondence and a lot of it was in the form of little poems just to let each other know they cared. One poem, written by my grandmother, stood out to me and I wanted to share.

I can't Remember
Just a line to say I'm living
That I'm not among the dead.
Though I'm getting more forgetful,
And mixed up in the head.
I got used to my arthritis
To my dentures I'm resigned,
I can manage my bifocals
But, God I miss my mind.
For sometimes I can't remember
When I stand at the foot of the stairs,
If I must go up for something
Or have just come down from there.
And before the fridge so often
My mind is filled with doubt
Have I just put food away
Or have I come to take some out.
And there's times when it is dark
With my nightcap on my head
I don't know if I'm retiring or
Just getting out of bed.
So if it's my turn to write you
There's no need for getting sore
I may think I have written
And don't want to be a bore.
So, remember that I love you
And wish that you were near
But now it's nearly mail time
So I must say goodbye, Dear.
There I stand beside the mailbox
With a face so very red,
Instead of mailing you my letter
I had opened it instead!
By Ioda McAbee

2 comments:

Julie August 15, 2008 at 9:06 PM  

So cute! I'm sure you have a lot of feelings swirling around inside of you as you go through these memories. My prayers are with you!

Davene August 17, 2008 at 12:57 AM  

That is so sweet that they corresponded like that! I'm glad you're getting to discover such treasures.

Search This Blog

  © Blogger template 'Photoblog' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP