Friday, November 30, 2007

Not Sleeping

A very good friend of mine and I often e-mail one another contemplating theology and the beauties of God and His person. Friendly arguing usually occurs and this is one of my e-mails to him....it was peculiarly interesting because the cognitations expressed here made me very restless last night....here it is

I had difficulty sleeping last night because God was twirling my brain contemplating about His nature...these are the thoughts which disallowed my rest: whether they are from God or not....you can decide:

I was contemplating the consequences of separating Jesus into both a human and a deity nature (instead of one human-deity nature). This is what I wrestled with last night. If we separate Jesus into flesh and divine, we have a limited Jesus (or you may say half-limited?). You would say that he was limited because he was given to not knowing, needing food, water, prayer, etc. etc. I contend that this is a doctrine that believes in a restrained God. I believe the truth is that Jesus is fully God and therefore, by God's very nature (HE IS FREE, UNRESTRAINED, CANNOT be cornered, CANNOT be blackmailed, etc.) Jesus could not be limited. Let me explain. I acknowledge that Jesus thirsted and cried, and slept. BUT I FULLY BELIEVE that Jesus was not limited by this because, truly, Are you limited when you choose to do something at which you could at anytime STOP choosing to do? Even Satan understood this when Jesus was on the steeple (skolopos) of the Temple and Lucifer urged Jesus to jump, knowing that if He really was God, then the angels would catch Him. Even the Jews who rejected Him, KNEW that if He REALLY was God He COULD come down off the cross and LAY TO WASTE His enemies surrounding Him about. An unbeliever reading the story in John on the passion of Christ would straight away think that Jesus had no control or was restraineded by his arrest and imprisonment and crucifixion. Is that the case? Consider these verses:

"I am he," Jesus said. (And Judas the traitor was standing there with them.) 6When Jesus said, "I am he," they drew back and fell to the ground.
7Again he asked them, "Who is it you want?" And they said, "Jesus of Nazareth."
8"I told you that I am he," Jesus answered. "If you are looking for me, then let these men go." 9This happened so that the words he had spoken would be fulfilled: "I have not lost one of those you gave me."[a]
10Then Simon Peter, who had a sword, drew it and struck the high priest's servant, cutting off his right ear. (The servant's name was Malchus.)
11Jesus commanded Peter, "Put your sword away! Shall I not drink the cup the Father has given me?"

Who's power brought the soldiers and Judas himself to the ground, who walked willingly to the cross, by telling Peter to put his sword away?

Jesus tells Pontius Pilate in answer to Pontius Pilate claiming that he has power to release Jesus or to crucify Him....
11Jesus answered, "You would have no power over me if it were not given to you from above. Therefore the one who handed me over to you is guilty of a greater sin."

Jesus was not limited, He went willingly to the cross, He came willingly to earth to become man and to take on Himself a body that needed drink and prayer and food. This is not a result of His humanity; this is a result of His humbleness to become the Suffering Servant for our sins. AT ANYTIME, Jesus could have consumed the Jews crying "crucify him" with a consuming fire flying down from the heavens OR when Jesus was being crowned with thorns, He could have exploded the hearts of the men mutilating Him, AT ANY TIME Christ could have called down a HOST, an army of angels, as the LORD who commands armies, BUT he didn't. He didn't because He Loved Us and so it is the only conclusion that HE WAS NOT LIMITED AT ANY TIME. And so his nature is one that is a God-man and not a man and a god.

Grace and Peace,
Chris

0 comments:

Search This Blog

  © Blogger template 'Photoblog' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP